New Orleans is a fantastic town that offers an abundance of opportunity for potential photographers. New Orleans has often been called the ‘most unique city’ because of it’s cultural and multilingual background and heritage. Having such a wide spectrum in the world of festive events and landscapes makes New Orleans home to so many fantastic forms of art, including photography. New Orleans also offers an array of different photography classes and photography schools, for those wishing to begin a wonderful career or an indulging hobby in photography. Let’s take a look at some of the photography schools and classes offered in the New Orleans area.
Stanwycks Photography, New Orleans Photo of Louisiana
Stanwycks Photography is a commercial photography studio that has been around for 25 years. Stanwycks Photography is one of the leading photographers in the New Orleans area. Stanwycks Photography is known for shooting promotional material, creating lifestyle images, and known for creating advertisement photography.
Stanwycks Photography owner, Vicky Stanwyck, is a certified coach with work sold for publication, globally.
Stanwycks Photography offers courses, workshops, and classes to those who want to improve their photography skills. Stanwycks Photography not only aids in growing your photography skills, but also teaches those who need direction in technology, and digital photo editing as well. Stanwycks Photography offers the ability to work with clients for a half of a day, a single day, or even multiple days.
Stanwycks Photography is located at 4139 Tchoupitoulas Street, Suite A New Orleans, La. 70115.
Zack Smith Photography
Zach Smith Photography is another commercial photographer who has been on the scene for 20 years. Owner Zack Smith considers himself to be a visual storyteller. According to Zack Smith “I see myself as a visual storyteller perpetually learning how to listen with honesty and photograph with intent. I see no difference in how I relate the vision of my commercial clients and my fine art portraits to their audience. We all have a story to tell and I find my creative muse in being the photographic bridge that brings an idea to reality.”
Not only has Smith won “Best Music Photographer” awarded in 2009 from Offbeat magazine, he has also done work for Nike, St. Charles Vision, and Yamaha.
Zach Smith Photography offers workshops that are taught throughout the year. Smith teaches not only the artistic side of photography but also the technical side.
There are many workshops available through Zack Smith Photography. Some of these include:
- Learning Light-room and Photoshop: This workshop is great for those looking to learn techniques in import/export presets, compositing, layers, and filters.
- Natural Light Portrait Photography: This is a great workshop for those looking to learn more about lighting techniques. This workshop utilizes New Orleans natural low sun angles, and it’s natural soft light.
- New Orleans Night Photography: This workshop can be utilized by professionals or beginners. This workshop takes advantage of the soft lights found in the night.
- Digital Photography: This is great for anyone who loves photography. This course teaches photographers how to use a mirrorless camera or SLR. This workshop also teaches shutter speed, editing in a lightroom, composition techniques, and using aperture.
- French Quarter Fest Photography: This photography workshop is six hours long. This intensive workshop uses a real-life festival to teach photographers how to shoot musicians, festival food, and of course the general culture of New Orleans.
Reach out to Zack Smith Photography for an appointment today.
The New Orleans Academy of Fine Arts
The New Orleans Academy of Fine Arts is an art school. They specialize in teaching different aspects of art. These categories include things such as drawing, painting, sculpture, and photography.
The New Orleans Academy of Fine Arts was founded in 1978 by Auseklis Ozols, who had an interest in drawing and painting. The unique draw of the school enticed people who shared the unique and intense awareness of their own sensations through means of non-verbal outlets. The academy later added photography courses to their curriculum.
The New Orleans Academy of Fine Arts offers courses in basic and intermediate levels of photography. They also offer courses pertaining to photoshop. The classes offered in photography include:
- Digital Photography 101: This class is a basic, beginners class. It begins by teaching the students about the function of a camera, and the different parts of the digital camera as well. This class also teaches you the basics of finding your own photography voice. Photographers will learn how to create aesthetically pleasing and compelling images.
- Intermediate Digital Photography: This course is the next level up from Digital Photography 101. Those who are already familiar with the basics may take this class to expand their aesthetic sensibility. This class also takes students through a history of contemporary and significant photographic images.
Each course offers five classes for a rate of $250.00. Each course is taught by Helen Reed.
Helen Reed is a photographer in the local New Orleans area. Her specialties include portraiture and weddings; she also teaches photography at Trinity Episcopal School. Helen Reed gained her degree in Fine Arts Photography and Business Management from the University of New Orleans.
You can obtain more information, or register for photography classes on the contact page.
The New Orleans School of Arts and Crafts
The New Orleans School of Arts and Crafts is truly one of a kind. This school offers an array of different art and crafts classes. Among these classes are, of course, photography workshops. Many of these courses span different lengths of time. Some of these photography classes only last a day, a couple days, or can stretch as long as eight weeks.
Currently, there are five different photography classes available. These include:
- Basic Digital Photography: This class offers insight into areas that including selecting the correct digital camera, different types of lenses, different accessories for your camera, preparing files for photoshopping, and protecting your files. This is a one day workshop offered at $105.00.
- Intermediate Digital Photography: This class offers insight into areas that include shooting with a digital camera, the various different camera modes, exposure, file sizes, directional qualities of things such as light, natural versus artificial light, photographing people and landscapes, studio setup, and multiple other areas. This is a four-week course offered at $200.00.
- Photographing Your Artwork: This course offers insight into photographing your artwork for use on the internet, or for use to submit to art shows. This is a one day course offered for $105.00
- Introduction to Macro Photography: Macro Photography consists of photographing things that are smaller in size. Things such as flowers or bugs would fall into this category. This class offers insight into methods and equipment to produce the best macro photography images you can. This course is a one day workshop offered for $90.00 – $120.00 depending on date of registration.
- Introduction to Infrared Photography: This workshop shows photographers how to utilize light that is at a frequency lower than the visual range. This workshop focuses on filters for a digital camera, modifying your camera for infrared photography, how to capture infrared images, achieving a false color appearance, and post-processing. This course is a one day workshop and is offered at $90.00 – $120.00, depending on date of registration.
You can contact the New Orleans School of Arts and Crafts today to obtain more information on how to get registered for classes.
John Batdorff Photography
John Batdorff photography is a Chicago based studio that offers a photography workshop that lasts four days and offers a unique experience in the New Orleans lifestyle and environment. This workshop applies photography to colorful street-performers, characters, and unique architecture with a creole twist. The John Batdorff workshop also spends one day at the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival as a time to snap photos and enjoy the festivities.
The workshop allows photographers to stay out once the sun sets to get some great night shots of the city. The program also offers photography of the city and surrounding markets. This photography workshop is very hands-on by allowing artists to flex their photography skills with real New Orleans events.
The workshop requires those who wish to participate a deposit of $400.00. It also requires participants to have supplied the deposit with their reservation form. The remaining balance must be paid in full within 60 days.
Food Photography for Instagram with Joy the Baker
A great starter class for those seeking photography classes. This program offers a five-hour experience in photographing food. This course requires no fancy cameras or equipment, the artist simply brings their iPhone and take part in snapping appealing and delicious pictures of food to post on social media. This course also focuses on editing your images for a more pleasing photo on the Instagram platform.
While this program is not traditional in terms of photography classes, it is a unique addition to what it is like for photography.